June 2015 - The Download Manager Returns

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

June 2015

The Download Manager Returns!

So I wanted to give you guys an update on what is happening around here. As you can see from the site navigation tabs, the Download Manager has returned. I am currently bringing all of the Retromags releases back to our site from FileFactory, Rapidshare, 4Shared..etc. Once I have brought back in everything that is currently on a file share site, I will start comparing what we have to what we used to have back in 2010 when MegaUpload went belly up. The end goal is to have EVERYTHING back into the Download Manager within the next 4-6 weeks. We may be reaching out to everyone via email with a list of missing releases, any help with uploading them back here...would be much appreciated. Now that the Download Manager is back, it will make everything easier for Team Members who wish to contribute new scans....and it will make it easier for you guys to download those items. Our Magazine Database will still continue to grow and I will be adding the direct downloads links to each magazine record.

Will Retromags still use FileFactory?

Yes, we will still use FileFactory as a backup solution for Guests. While we have a good deal of bandwidth for "members" to download directly from this site, we don't have enough that guests can download.

Will Retromags use Torrents and/or Newsgroups?

Yes, once we have everything back on this site I will post everything in a torrent and via Newsgroups. However I can not promise that anyone will seed the torrents 24/7/365.

What, if any, restrictions will be on the Download Manager (direct downloads)?

Staff, Team Members, and users who donated a few months back will have no restrictions on downloading directly from Retromags. Other groups will have restrictions on how many files can be downloaded directly from this site. I wish we could let everyone download freely, but there is a limit to how many downloads we can serve monthly.

What does having the Download Manger back fix?

We ran the Download Manger from 2007-2009 on Retromags. When it was in place, it made everything much easier on everyone. We could set permissions on who could upload and download items. It acted as a centralized location for all releases to be stored. With services like MegaUpload, Rapidshare and FileFactory....we are at the mercy of those companies. If they get shut down or change the terms of service....well we get screwed.

How can I help get you guys back to 100%?

In the next few weeks I will be releasing a list of magazines, guides, supplements that we are still missing. These are items that were most likely uploaded to MegaUpload back before it got shut down. If you happen to have any of the files we are looking for, I can provide you FTP credentials to upload those magazines back to Retromags. Anyone who helps us out by uploading missing releases will be rewarded.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hello:

My name is Justin and just joined retomags. Could you send me a list of mags that you are looking for because I have old mags just don't know how far back you are looking for.

Hello, Justin. Welcome to Retromags! You can get a good idea for what magazines are missing by browsing our Magazine database and noting which magazine issues are labelled "missing" or "preserved." There are so many missing and new ones are always being uploaded that we don't exactly maintain a single list. Moreover, we're not even aware of all the game magazines that have existed, so you may have some magazines that aren't even listed in the database. It's a humongous project and we'd welcome your help.

You can make a thread over in Magazine Talk to talk about your mags and what you have that might be missing.