Electronic Gaming Monthly... Is it DEAD?

spoonman

Thanks for letting us know. At this point I'm not sure if it's good news or not..

To be honest I would be happier if I received an issue of EGM with the cover saying "THIS IS IT... THE LAST ISSUE OF EGM" with a check for the remaining issues they owe me.

I definitely agree with your sentiment. I am quite tired of waiting for the next issue to arrive all the time. I've contacted customer service about 3-4 times since last year about how long it takes for an issue to arrive. That was when they started going bi-monthly. They just keep extending my subscription. But they are even unsure the future of EGM. At least Gamepro was nice enough to just stop production and not hang on to a thread and keep their subscribers in limbo waiting for each issue.

EGM is starting to act like Gamefan. Gamefan is publishing like 1-2 issues a year, which is ridiculous. I don't even bother getting Gamefan ever since they relaunched. I surely don't count them as an old magazine that's still around.

I definitely agree with your sentiment. I am quite tired of waiting for the next issue to arrive all the time. I've contacted customer service about 3-4 times since last year about how long it takes for an issue to arrive. That was when they started going bi-monthly. They just keep extending my subscription. But they are even unsure the future of EGM. At least Gamepro was nice enough to just stop production and not hang on to a thread and keep their subscribers in limbo waiting for each issue.

EGM is starting to act like Gamefan. Gamefan is publishing like 1-2 issues a year, which is ridiculous. I don't even bother getting Gamefan ever since they relaunched. I surely don't count them as an old magazine that's still around.

I've been subscribed to Fanzines with better customer support than EGM.

If you try asking the most simplest of questions over the phone they are totally stumped.

I asked a simple question, "which number is the May/June 2012 issue?"... just to be sure he was going to request the correct issue, and he said "Sorry, I really have no idea".

This of course after the line I get each time they don't send me an issue "Would you like me to add an issue onto your subscription?" ... I said "No thanks. It's already extended into 2015 and I doubt the magazine will make it that far."

• Retromags Curator

I saw the May/June issue in the bookstore today. I read through most of it. I am wondering when I will actually get it in the mail. I am starting to be in the same boat as spoonman. I might be happier if they just stopped. I don't like seeing any magazine stop printing, but their distribution to subscribers is terrible. I re-subscribed last August and didn't get an issue until this past January or February. The subscription support have no idea what is going on (they didn't even know the magazine went bi-monthly). And when the issues do come, it's weeks after they hit the newsstand. The magazines has gotten better over the last couple of issues, but it's still missing some old school flair that I think would be great for it.

The magazines has gotten better over the last couple of issues, but it's still missing some old school flair that I think would be great for it.

Yep, they are taking the right path by using some old review styles and having more short articles. You know what I enjoyed back in the old EGMs? The short 2-3 sentence previews of Japanese games that mostly likely will never come over here. Just look at the early EGM issues again. I used to get so excited looking at the large number of titles for each system crammed in each page. I believe EGM needs to lighten up a bit more. They used to be quite funny and had this excited fanboy feeling in each and every article--talking about the next great game or system. Something like, "Watch out for the next generation! Playstation Orbis is blasting toward your way!" These days, it's more like reading the Wall Street Journal. So I get bored quickly.

Ya, I know the Japanese game market is not like it used to be. But at least interview somebody from Konami, Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, Nippon Ichi, or even Xseed for a change. They still develop and publish great titles. They keep interviewing game developers that make stuff I've never heard of before in the west and with hardly any pedigree too. Like E-day said, throw in some old school flair. EGM will increase their subscriber base tenfold. Here is an idea, start reviewing some old school titles with a modern viewpoint for the fans. The magazine, Retrogamer, has a nice market for a reason. EGM is an old school magazine so they need to act like it.

Yep, they are taking the right path by using some old review styles and having more short articles. You know what I enjoyed back in the old EGMs? The short 2-3 sentence previews of Japanese games that mostly likely will never come over here. Just look at the early EGM issues again. I used to get so excited looking at the large number of titles for each system crammed in each page. I believe EGM needs to lighten up a bit more. They used to be quite funny and had this excited fanboy feeling in each and every article--talking about the next great game or system. Something like, "Watch out for the next generation! Playstation Orbis is blasting toward your way!" These days, it's more like reading the Wall Street Journal. So I get bored quickly.

Ya, I know the Japanese game market is not like it used to be. But at least interview somebody from Konami, Capcom, Atlus, Square Enix, Nippon Ichi, or even Xseed for a change. They still develop and publish great titles. They keep interviewing game developers that make stuff I've never heard of before in the west and with hardly any pedigree too. Like E-day said, throw in some old school flair. EGM will increase their subscriber base tenfold. Here is an idea, start reviewing some old school titles with a modern viewpoint for the fans. The magazine, Retrogamer, has a nice market for a reason. EGM is an old school magazine so they need to act like it.

My favorite memories with EGM were 1990-91. Tons of Genesis games coming out with SNES on the horizon. I remember seeing the first shots of Super Mario World and thinking how amazing and fun it looked.

Trying to imagine what the hell "Mode 7" was and how it would make a game like Pilot Wings play nothing nothing else we've seen on a home console.

EGM magazines were blowing up to the size of store catalogs, all jammed packed with screen shots, reviews, and rumors. Those were the days!

Unfortunately it will never be like that again. The internet and instant info has changed everything. I think EGM should take some cues (or Q's) from Retro Gamer Magazine and have some more retro

retro reviews and look back on their own history and interview game developers from the golden years of gaming.

They have a huge amount of great memories they could be tapping into.

Let's face it, if people want game news they will simply check Joystiq, GameTrailers, Kotaku, etc..

• Retromags Curator

Well, that's why they don't cover news anymore. They do reviews, but most of the rest is features and interviews.

If I had the money and know-how, I would start my own Retro gaming magazine. I don't know why someone hasn't already made a deal with Imagine Publishing to publish Retro Gamer in North America, with the articles tweaked to reflect our culture and timelines. That way we wouldn't be getting issues that were on British newsstands two months ago, we could relate to the articles better, and they wouldn't cost $15 each.

Well, that's why they don't cover news anymore. They do reviews, but most of the rest is features and interviews.

If I had the money and know-how, I would start my own Retro gaming magazine. I don't know why someone hasn't already made a deal with Imagine Publishing to publish Retro Gamer in North America, with the articles tweaked to reflect our culture and timelines. That way we wouldn't be getting issues that were on British newsstands two months ago, we could relate to the articles better, and they wouldn't cost $15 each.

It would be nice, but they would probably have to change the advertising.

Also, you can get a 13 issue subscription in the USA if you use the code YOUTUBE when ordering from https://imagine.subs...les/retro-gamer

This will bring it from 80 GBP to 50 (50.00 GBP = $76.8151 USD) So 13 issues for $77 it's not too bad a deal.

$6.40/issue (My calculator was still open) ;) Considering the Global shipping and all, this is a very fair price.

Oh and if you do some day decide to sell them, the going rate is an average of $15-$30 ea.

I sold a few dupes recently.

• Retromags Curator

The price would be a bit higher in Canada, but I honestly wouldn't have time to read them. I have an issue from last summer (the Sonic the Hedgehog anniversary issue), that I haven't read through yet, plus one of their Best of volumes I bought last year that I haven't flipped through yet. Too much stuff, not enough time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

I finally got the May/June issue of EGM in the mail today. I do not know why they are so slow mailing them out. I suspect that it gets sent bulk mail, which takes longer. I have not seen a Statement of Ownership in the magazine since it came back, and it's required by the USPS in order for magazines to get whatever postage deal the USPS gives to magazines.

If I had the money, I would try to by all the content and rights to GamePro from IDG. They are doing diddly with the name, and it could be a good North American retro magazine with a bit of current multi-platform coverage.

I finally got the May/June issue of EGM in the mail today. I do not know why they are so slow mailing them out. I suspect that it gets sent bulk mail, which takes longer. I have not seen a Statement of Ownership in the magazine since it came back, and it's required by the USPS in order for magazines to get whatever postage deal the USPS gives to magazines.

If I had the money, I would try to by all the content and rights to GamePro from IDG. They are doing diddly with the name, and it could be a good North American retro magazine with a bit of current multi-platform coverage.

I suspect EGM is struggling to get issues out due to lack of resources, staff members, or what have you. Nothing to do with the slow mail. All magazines get shipped out in bulk via 2nd Class Mail for periodicals. They could be using 4th Class Mail (Media Mail), which can take a month to get to your house. That is the reason why they went bi-monthly. They needed more time to put the issues together. That's why Gamepro went quarterly and then crashed. Apparently, EGM needs even more time now, just like Gamepro. I do know how they feel. Periodicals require a lot of deadlines that some folks just can't meet. I ran a video game newsletter at my local game store for a year. Even that was difficult to release issues on time.

Well ... they were meant to be releasing all their older issues via the iPad appstore and so far the only things out are the EGMi's which are not that great, with no sign of the digital print versions to date. Add to that their inability to keep to a reasonable release schedule for their print media and it looks like they are in trouble.

If I recall the guys at OoPA were originally meant to look after scanning their old versions ( I was assisting at one point ) then Steve pulled their scanning work in-house and that's the last anyone has heard anything about it. Did the guys at OoPA ask for money for scanning? Dunno but I don't think so therefore they just wanted control of it. All a mess really. Sucks that the people supporting them through subscriptions get the rawest deal of all.

• Retromags Curator

Well ... they were meant to be releasing all their older issues via the iPad appstore and so far the only things out are the EGMi's which are not that great, with no sign of the digital print versions to date. Add to that their inability to keep to a reasonable release schedule for their print media and it looks like they are in trouble.

If I recall the guys at OoPA were originally meant to look after scanning their old versions ( I was assisting at one point ) then Steve pulled their scanning work in-house and that's the last anyone has heard anything about it. Did the guys at OoPA ask for money for scanning? Dunno but I don't think so therefore they just wanted control of it. All a mess really. Sucks that the people supporting them through subscriptions get the rawest deal of all.

Never heard anything about all of that, All I kept seeing was phoenix this and dark phoenix that........after a while I just lost interest and fell out of the loop.

Never heard anything about all of that, All I kept seeing was phoenix this and dark phoenix that........after a while I just lost interest and fell out of the loop.

Yeah ... Phoenix was EGM ... Dark Phoenix was Gamefan. Neither has amounted to much with nothing released by EGM and only a couple of issues released with the help of Meppi over at GameFan. I think they are both seriously having troubles trying to keep going with new stuff and simply don't have the time or manpower for preservation work.

• Retromags Curator

Yeah ... Phoenix was EGM ... Dark Phoenix was Gamefan. Neither has amounted to much with nothing released by EGM and only a couple of issues released with the help of Meppi over at GameFan. I think they are both seriously having troubles trying to keep going with new stuff and simply don't have the time or manpower for preservation work.

Sounds like a really sour deal. The do all the work, and someone else gets to profit? Sure they are the true owners of the magazine, but if they want to reap the profits, they should hire a team to do the work. Besides this site already has a good run of EGM magazines out there, plus "other" sites have the newer issues, I can't imagine there is much demand to spend $2 an issue for a pristine-ly edited version? Besides shouldn't the original copyright holders have digital versions of everything anyway? Why make someone scan and touch up all that stuff.....surely it has to be on a workstation somewhere. Also while Steve Harris may still own the rights to EGM, does he have the right to republish the advertisements that were in those issues? Let alone make a profit from them?

Well ... the advertisements being republished are also one reason Future Publishing say they haven't wanted to reprint their old stuff but surely it can't be that big a deal for a 20 year old mag? Beats me. Personally, I don't think they want to spend money on wages for someone to scan old stuff. And no, in the 80's and 90's digital wasn't around so the really old stuff was pre-pressed etc. Unless they kept the masters it will require them to have at least a storage issue. Most didn't from what I can tell.

Honestly, EGM should just focus on their future rather than the past and try to stay afloat.

Copyrights from all of the old adverts would be a nightmare for them.

There is a tremendous amount of work that goes in to scanning an entire magazine - as many of you already know.

I would compensate anyone who scanned/cleaned the old mags if they are selling it. 50/50 profit share seems fair.

They should be a re-review or something where they look back at their older reviews and comment on that. That way they are using their past resources and

keeping it interesting for long time members. Though there biggest hurdle may be looking back on 20+ year old reviews without snickering at the lingo they used.. "NUFF SAID" :P

• 1 month later...

Question of the month...

Has anyone received the July/August 2012 (#256) issue of EGM?

I'm still waiting for my July/August 2012 issue. It's even more late than last issue. We are in August now and nothing has shown up. I've gotten two issues of Nintendo Power already in the time it takes for EGM to not even send me one yet. I got upset the other day and signed up for Best Buy's @Gamer Magazine. I'll just let EGM send me issues whenever. ;-)

So a week ago I emailed EGM (egm@emailcustomerservice.com) and told them I haven't received the July/Aug 2012 issue #256 and received this reply....

We apologize that you did not receive the July/August 2012 issue. We are sending a replacement copy which you should receive in two to three weeks.

Thank you for subscribing to Electronic Gaming Monthly.

Sincerely,

Shantel Tara

Customer Service

And today I receive another issue #254 Mar/Apr 2012... Great! :(

It's the only issue I've actually received so far from my $25 subscription and now I have 3 copies of it.

So has anyone seen a sign of the July/Aug 2012 issue of EGM?

I can confirm that EGM is not dead. I just contacted an EGM rep today and she confirmed that my Sep./Oct. issue would be sent out. I have also contacted Marc Camron who handles all of EGM's back issues. And he told me that all of the 2012 issues are still available; for those of you who were interested in buying them.

they should hire a team to do the work

Its like you said EGM wouldn't gain much by switching to a totally digital mag. Organizing a team to work on digital preservation sounds great but "hiring them" might seem counterproductive to them. They would profit more on newsstands because of the eventual copies that would spread like wildfire on the web. So I guess it up to us fans to do all the work but that's why this site is up to begin with.

Incidentally I am in the process of starting scans from 2012 and all other future issues. I have decided not to host these files until a year past the publication date. And since the issues would never be available on newsstands anyway I thought I would preserve them as well as make them available to others online. I don't think it will affect EGM's back issue sales either since anyone who purchases them are looking to preserve the printed magazine.