E-Day's Work In Progress

E-Day

• 3 months later...
  • Retromags Curator

Next scan: EGM2 Issue 2 from August 1994 to replace the horrid version currently on the site. The first scan with my new HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One. The great thing about it is it will auto crop the document for you, and most of the time, it gets it perfectly on it's own. Less editing in Photoshop :)

egm2-2.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Next scan: EGM2 Issue 2 from August 1994 to replace the horrid version currently on the site. The first scan with my new HP Photosmart C7280 All-in-One. The great thing about it is it will auto crop the document for you, and most of the time, it gets it perfectly on it's own. Less editing in Photoshop :)

Wait, so for $179 on Amazon.com, this thing will AUTO-CROP the document FOR you, AND it gets it perfectly on its own, even for magazines that you're NOT going to remove the staples from?? Holy cow, that's pretty good, E-Day!

BJ

Wait, so for $179 on Amazon.com, this thing will AUTO-CROP the document FOR you, AND it gets it perfectly on its own, even for magazines that you're NOT going to remove the staples from?? Holy cow, that's pretty good, E-Day!

BJ

I would verify a few things before blindly taking it crops as golden.

1. Is the document straight? I get about 10% of my document straight enough on the first try. Everything else gets about .2-.3% turn to get it straight.

2. Can you specify a size for the crop? If not, it'll look weird because some pages are larger than others. I did this on my first scan here and was a bit bummed at how crappy that looks.

Other than that, happy scanning. With this new scanner, can we expect 2 magazines per month now? :lol:

• Retromags Curator

It gets it perfectly most times, before I taped black construction paper to the lid on the inside. Since then it crops around the excess c.paper. But without it, yeah, it did a really good job almost everytime.

But because EGM used the cheapest, thinnest paper possible, almost every page bleeds through, so the construction paper is a necessity. Otherwise cropping in photoshop would be very minimal. Now I just have it scan the whole bed.

I haven't tried it with a stapled magazine. With those I suspect it would crop around the edge except where the staple is. It looks for the white background of the lid and crops around anything that isn't it.

And it does a hell of a job printing photos too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Retromags Curator

It's pretty fast. The actual scan takes only a few seconds, but because it's a wireless all-in-one, it takes about 30-40 seconds for it to send the tif to my computer. It would probably be much faster wired, but it's on the home network, and it can only be connected in one manner at a time.

Still, it beats my old scanner, taking 3-4 minutes per page.

• Retromags Curator

So EGM2 Issue June 1995 is scanned.

Up next is EGM2 Issue 26 August 1996.

After that I will be scanning the following issues in this order:

EGM2 Issue 27 September 1996

EGM2 Issue 30 December 1996

Game Players Issue "83" April 1996

Ultra Game Players Issue "99" July 1997

Video Games April 1996

Video Games September 1996

GamePro Issue 95 June 1997

GamePro Issue 97 August 1997

GamePro Issue 98 September 1997

GamePro Issue 99 October 1997

GamePro Issue 104 March 1998

GamePro Issue 108 July 1998

If anyone has any of these and plans on scanning them soon, let me know and I will remove them from my To-do List. :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...