Microsoft attempting to "patch out" Steam?

I'm not a Steam user - I've never been much of a PC gamer and avoid DRMed networks whenever possible.  But this article caught my attention as 1) it reminded me of the 90s browser wars and 2) as a console gamer I'm familiar with Microsoft's recent Windows 10 push via Xbox.

I know there are many PC gamers here so thought I'd share.  What do you think - valid concern or the next conspiracy theory?

http://www.pcgamer.com/tim-sweeney-thinks-microsoft-will-make-steam-progressively-worse-with-windows-10-patches/

I think Windows is headed towards a pay as you go.  Microsoft has been bleeding cash for 10 years now.  They released Windows 10 for free so they could get everyone on the same platform.  In time they will force people to pay.  Micro-transactions are one way and videogames are another which Steam has provided while getting a free ride on the Windows Platform.

• Like 1

I think there is certainly a possibility here.

i can see Microsoft taking steps to closing up the Windows system and probably allow only Windows Store apps in the future and deprecate the entire Win32 part.

Having said this I'm happy 3 of 5 of my computers run legitimate Windows 7 and have had their hard drives cloned with both Windows 7 and windows 10.

I still need to use 7 but acknowledge the value in having 10 in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I hope this will never happen :-(

At least then I'll have something to drive me to Linux. Or I'll just use Windows 7 forevermore. (Or perhaps a modded Windows which doesn't f*** with me.

Same here. I refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm perfectly happy to stick with 7 for as long as possible.

Worse comes to worst then I will switch to Linux and run a windows 7 emulator if needed for certain games/software.

• Like 1

No, that would be unwise to make Steam less accessible.  Microsoft is not trying to annoy any potential customer base.

Maybe M$ just plans on placing the blame on Steam as Steam gets bugger and crashier from whatever M$ is scheming. Then M$ will offer up their own bug-free and higher-performance alternative! 

• Like 1

Same here. I refuse to upgrade to Windows 10 and I'm perfectly happy to stick with 7 for as long as possible.

Worse comes to worst then I will switch to Linux and run a windows 7 emulator if needed for certain games/software.

I held out as long as I could.  When I built a computer this past summer I found out that Intel's Processors disabled functions of the motherboard like USB and some other stuff.  It is basically unusable with windows 7.

I'm unhappy with Windows 10 but there are advantages like directX 12, multiple desktops, GPT partition, 10 minute windows install because of usb 3 drivers and windows 10 stays current with security flaws.

Maybe M$ just plans on placing the blame on Steam as Steam gets bugger and crashier from whatever M$ is scheming. Then M$ will offer up their own bug-free and higher-performance alternative! 

Ha ha.  That's so true.

I held out as long as I could.  When I built a computer this past summer I found out that Intel's Processors disabled functions of the motherboard like USB and some other stuff.  It is basically unusable with windows 7.

This is rather alarming. My current Win 7 computer is a bit long in the tooth as it's about to turn 4 years old this next year, and I've been looking towards upgrading or replacing it, but still retaining the OS. If hardware manufacturers are forcibly and artificially making Win 7 obsolete then that's real scummy on their part. I hope I don't have to upgrade to Linux right away because I'm not in the mood to learn all the idiosyncrasies of a new OS, and Linux in particular is not exactly famous for being noob-friendly. Do I really have to type crap in the terminal, DOS-like, just to do basic functions or is that a bit overhyped?