New Release: Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 136 (November 2000)

E-Day

• Retromags Curator

If you'd bought the magazine first you would have realized you could have held off on purchasing a PS2 at launch. Unless you wanted a DVD player. Which, let's face it, was really the only thing it had going for it at the time.

But...but I HAAAAAAAD to have it! It was so pretty and angular and perfect and black, so it would go with everything!

*huggles*

Areala

Ah, I've always loved this issue. I distinctly recall that they reviewed the PS2 by throwing a party at Sybaris, which I found really cool because I'd just taken my girlfriend there a few months prior. The place looked just like it did in the photos.

If you'd bought the magazine first you would have realized you could have held off on purchasing a PS2 at launch. Unless you wanted a DVD player. Which, let's face it, was really the only thing it had going for it at the time.

That's actually the exact reason why I waited six hours in line to get mine. I grabbed a bunch of dvds from Blockbuster (where I worked at the time), drove over to the WalMart about 20 minutes away, and joined the other dozen people who'd already gotten in line ahead of me. Before long another dozen or so showed up behind me. Much anxiety ensued until the electronics manager came out and announced that they only had enough units to supply maybe four people past me, and I felt really bad for them as they turned and left the store with groans of extreme disappointment on their faces. But then the manager spread around cookies and let us pull up camping chairs from the nearby outdoor section and the next few hours were the sweet, sweet sensation of confidence at knowing that we'd leave the store with our brand new dvd players PS2s.

I can't even remember the first time that I really got into the system for some hardcore gaming marathons, though Summoner and Dynasty Warriors 2 were the first games that I really enjoyed on it. Tekken Tag Tournament was fun at first as well.

I already had a nice DVD player (which I had won from a contest at thedigitalbits.com) AND a bunch of awesome games for my Dreamcast, so I was fully equipped to snub my nose at the PS2 launch. I eventually bought one, of course, but not until it had a better library of games to choose from.