Cast Your Votes On What To Preserve Next!

Phillyman

• Retromags Curator

Cast Your Votes On What To Preserve Next!

Earlier today I implemented a voting system in the Magazine Database. Now anyone that visits Retromags can cast a vote towards what they want to see preserved. The "Vote To Preserve" button will only show up on magazine records that are allowed to be scanned. The voting button will disappear once a magazine has been flagged as Preserved.

Let us know which magazines you want to see digitally preserved!

Magazine Database

• Like 3

• Retromags Curator

How many can you vote for?

No limit on how many you can vote for, only that you can only vote once per magazine. So you can vote for all the missing EGM's, but you can't vote 20 times for Nintendo Power Issue 145 to be preserved. Unless you went over to 19 of your friends houses and cast votes from their Internet connection :P

Awesome idea! A couple things though: What happens next? Will you do something like a tally at the end of each week to determine what to work on next?

Also, as you'd probably expect I went pretty much straight to the year 2000 EGMs but they didn't have vote buttons to click on (because of last year's restriction on 2000 + issues, I'm guessing).

I am working on getting a webpage to report back the most requested issues. For right now the number is on each magazine record, but soon you will be able to see which magazines are being requested the most :)

Yes, we need a list. to be most effective. I would definetly alter my scan order to accommodate a magazine that is more requested than others. Heading out to put my vote in for the VG&CE with the Genesis on the cover on a pillar.

• Like 1

• Retromags Curator

Yes, we need a list. to be most effective. I would definetly alter my scan order to accommodate a magazine that is more requested than others. Heading out to put my vote in for the VG&CE with the Genesis on the cover on a pillar.

A list should be simple to create, what I really want is for the vote values to be synced to our database, so members can sort on that value natively :)

I can think of titles I'd most like to see, but not really specific issues

-Nintendo Magazine System (UK)

-Official Sega Magazine (UK)

-Sega Pro (UK) - this one mainly because it had a long-running, fairly comprehensive section dedicated to upcoming Sega release dates.

Is there a way to vote for titles instead of specific issues?

I would imagine that the plan is for scanners to be able to see what issues people are most interested in and bump those to the top of their queue.

Sadly, interest skews heavily in favor of video games, and my most-wanted mags are all PC game mags, so hopefully having only one vote (mine) doesn't delay their chances of getting scanned for too terribly long.

• Retromags Curator

I can think of titles I'd most like to see, but not really specific issues

-Nintendo Magazine System (UK)

-Official Sega Magazine (UK)

-Sega Pro (UK) - this one mainly because it had a long-running, fairly comprehensive section dedicated to upcoming Sega release dates.

Is there a way to vote for titles instead of specific issues?

I could probably implement a vote button on the publications pages, but I doubt a generic vote for all "Nintendo Powers" would get much attention. Now if I see that 49 people voted to see Nintendo Power Issue 193 (July 2005) preserved, well then I might run that issue thru my scanner before scanning Electronic Gaming Monthly 145 (August 2001) that only has 3 votes.

I still don't understand. What are you actually going to do with the votes? :)

The votes will allow anyone to come visit Retromags and give weight to what they want to see preserved next. The system will allow Team Members to see where interest is and fulfill those requests :)

• Retromags Curator

and Yes, you are allowed to vote from multiple networks. It is not against the rules and I would not be able to tell anyways. These votes are independent of your Retromags accounts. You actually don't even need a Retromags account to vote. So if you vote at home, at work and from your cell phone network.....each of those would increase the vote. You are also welcome to use social media like Facebook and Twitter to request votes.

The votes will allow anyone to come visit Retromags and give weight to what they want to see preserved next. The system will allow Team Members to see where interest is and fulfill those requests :)

Oh okay, so the votes aren't necessarily going to "lock" what gets scanned, it's really just more of a feedback system for the team to see what people are interested in the most?

That's fine then, I'd just been confused. I wasn't sure if it was going to be more of a rigid thing like "whatever gets awarded the most votes is what gets scanned" so I was sitting here wondering things like "When are the votes tallied? How frequently is this going to happen? What if a bunch of magazines are tied for votes? What if only one publication gets the majority of the votes week after week?" I guess I was just overthinking things.

I do hope that the option to vote for EGMs past 1999 gets enabled though. I've got a couple dozen clicks to make. :P

• Retromags Curator

Oh okay, so the votes aren't necessarily going to "lock" what gets scanned, it's really just more of a feedback system for the team to see what people are interested in the most?

That's fine then, I'd just been confused. I wasn't sure if it was going to be more of a rigid thing like "whatever gets awarded the most votes is what gets scanned" so I was sitting here wondering things like "When are the votes tallied? How frequently is this going to happen? What if a bunch of magazines are tied for votes? What if only one publication gets the majority of the votes week after week?" I guess I was just overthinking things.

I do hope that the option to vote for EGMs past 1999 gets enabled though. I've got a couple dozen clicks to make. :P

Oh no, it in no way locks in what is going to be scanned next. It is just there as a reference to see where the most interest lies. I will work on unlocking the EGM's shortly :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Any word on getting a list of most requested issues up? It would make it a lot easier to check what's in my scan pile and and manually look at each database record to see which has the most votes currently. I want to give the people what they want. Which happened to surge to EGM 77 from the last time I checked last month.

• Retromags Curator

Any word on getting a list of most requested issues up? It would make it a lot easier to check what's in my scan pile and and manually look at each database record to see which has the most votes currently. I want to give the people what they want. Which happened to surge to EGM 77 from the last time I checked last month.

Still working on this, but here is a screen cap taken just a few minutes ago.

post-1-0-96517400-1461168211_thumb.png

Awesome! I mean that just told me in 2 seconds what it took me 10 minutes to figure out. Nice that I just posted the top requested scan and now going number 2. I'd say the only thing is to cull games from the list after they are preserved.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...