New Release: Electronic Gaming Monthly Issue 94 (May 1997)

E-Day

Wow, I remember when the PSX and N64 became the same price. That seemed like a super aggressive move. Made the console wars very exciting.

I barely remember either system being as low as $150, especially so soon after release. That's like half off just two years into the Playstation's lifespan, and $100 bucks off the price of an N64 after just a year. Something tells me that this can't be right, especially considering the fact that when I bought my N64 in the winter of 1999 it was most definitely $200 bucks. I think EGM lied. :P

• Retromags Curator

I barely remember either system being as low as $150, especially so soon after release. That's like half off just two years into the Playstation's lifespan, and $100 bucks off the price of an N64 after just a year. Something tells me that this can't be right, especially considering the fact that when I bought my N64 in the winter of 1999 it was most definitely $200 bucks. I think EGM lied. :P

If you paid $200 for a Nintendo 64 in 1999, you got hosed like the pivot man in a circle jerk.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts

This is an awesome resource that shows when each company announced a price cut for their given system, and according to their data, both the PS1 and the N64 were slashed to $99 in 1999, and were at $149 in March of 1997 here in the US. :)

*huggles*

Areala

• Like 1

Did you get a game bundle? I don't know, I seem to remember discussing it with a couple friends at the time and saying Nintendo could do it because the games would still be more expensive. Nintendo cartridges were more expensive to manufacture than PSX CDs, on top of the license. PSX games would get cheaper faster than Nintendo games, so the N64 would come out more expensive in the end.

If you paid $200 for a Nintendo 64 in 1999, you got hosed like the pivot man in a circle jerk.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Price_cuts

This is an awesome resource that shows when each company announced a price cut for their given system, and according to their data, both the PS1 and the N64 were slashed to $99 in 1999, and were at $149 in March of 1997 here in the US. :)

*huggles*

Areala

Did you get a game bundle? I don't know, I seem to remember discussing it with a couple friends at the time and saying Nintendo could do it because the games would still be more expensive. Nintendo cartridges were more expensive to manufacture than PSX CDs, on top of the license. PSX games would get cheaper faster than Nintendo games, so the N64 would come out more expensive in the end.

Man, I must've gotten a bundle or something, because $200 is definitely the number that stands out in my head as the price that I paid for the system just after Christmas of 1998. I know that I didn't get any games with the system so either something else came in the package (maybe more of those hideous mutant cudgels that they tried marketing as controllers) or my stoner-like memory (which is a really strange thing given that I'm totally straight edge) has completely failed me.

Even if I remove my own anecdotal experiences that $150 price point seems way too low, especially for the PS1. To have their price cut in half less than two years into the machine's run? Especially seeing how well the system was selling? It's madness!

I guess the prices were what they were, then so be it. I'm just honestly kind of shocked.

Looked over the Final Fantasy VII preview. Came away reminded of the fact that the frothing, worshipful HYYYYPEZ began well before the game was even finished.

"There has been some controversy regarding certain mature aspects of the game. Will Sony censor the game in any way for the US audience? If so, what specifically?"

- "SCEA has always maintained its intent to preserve the greatness of Final Fantasy VII. It is a masterpiece, a work of art..."

"What is your impression of the game so far?"

- "I am awestruck! ...As an RPG fan, I'm in heaven".

"What is the most outstanding feature of the game to you?"

- "The feature that I find most remarkable about Final Fantasy VII is the way that it truly immerses you in its fictional world. Like a good movie or novel, you get so engrossed in the story and events that you actually begin to feel as if you are part of the world. Final Fantasy VII is an epic adventure".

"In your opinion, how does FFVII direectly compare to games available for competing game systems?"

- "Final Fantasy VII is incomprarable to any other game on any other hardware system. The story line, graphics, music and gameplay really set it in a class by itself. Trust me, you have never experienced anything like Final Fantasy VII before".

"What ESRB rating is Sony anticipating for FFVII?"

- "Final Fantasy has a well-established heritage with US gamers. With this Playstation-exclusive title, Square has delivered a depth in gameplay that has never been accomplished".

Yeah, but how is the game? ....Good?

• Like 1

"What ESRB rating is Sony anticipating for FFVII?"

- "Final Fantasy has a well-established heritage with US gamers. With this Playstation-exclusive title, Square has delivered a depth in gameplay that has never been accomplished".

I'm sure if they'd tried a little harder they could have actually matched the hyperbole with the question.

"The ESRB has rated Final Fantasy VII S for Sacrosanct. Religious leaders throughout the country are protesting the game's impending release, fearing a mass exodus of their followers converting to the Church of Cloud."

• Like 2

• Retromags Curator

Yessss! You have now motivated me to get back to scanning today.

I had it scanned for a couple of weeks, but didn't get around to editing it until yesterday. I am going to try the feeder on my all-in-one to see if I can scan faster without visible quality loss. Then I can spend the time editing instead.

I'm sure if they'd tried a little harder they could have actually matched the hyperbole with the question.

"The ESRB has rated Final Fantasy VII S for Sacrosanct. Religious leaders throughout the country are protesting the game's impending release, fearing a mass exodus of their followers converting to the Church of Cloud."

LOL I love it.

The funny thing is, your second sentence is essentially accurate. In the years since the release of the game it would seem that the overwhelming majority of people who so much as glanced in its general direction - in particular those who apparently had never seen Final Fantasy, RPGs, or video games before - have dedicated their lives to the unwavering practice of tearfully prostrating themselves before the altar of the almighty and eternally untouchable Final Fantasy VII, their entire remaining existence spent in doe-eyed veneration for what can only be described as the best game in the series - nay, the best thing ever made. And if their words, deeds, votes, downloads, and Youtube comments don't perpetually remind everyone of this then their Cloud engagement rings and Sephiroth sex dolls will.

I think a bunch of them work at Square.

• Like 2