7 replies to this topic

#1 E-Day

E-Day

Jimminy Momma Jammas

• Retromags Curator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:57 PM

Once in a while, something happens that makes the tedious of running this site worthwhile. That occurred yesterday.

Usually when I get email at my Retromags account, it's either junk mail, or an inactive member asking to have their account deleted. Yesterday, I encountered a pleasant surprise. I saw an email in my inbox from someone named Marc Ericksen. I initially thought it was spam since a lot of spam I get has an actual name. When I opened it I realized it was a legitimate email from a legitimate person.

It turns out Marc is an illustrator, and has been so for a long time. He emailed to thank me for having this site up as he was using it to remember which GamePro covers he had illustrated back in the day. Yes; Marc Ericksen illustrated several covers of GamePro magazine, as well as many other things, like print ads, game box art, and toy illustrations.

It was nice to hear from someone who worked on the stuff we are preserving here. It was even nicer when he offered to send me the original work he had done, and nicer yet when he said I could post it here for those interested in seeing it. So here it is (I've watermarked each image with his name to try and deter theft from ne’er-do-wells):

The Cover of the Original issue of GamePro:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The Cover of issue 3 of GamePro:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The Cover of issue 4 of GamePro:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The Cover of issue 11 of GamePro:
Posted Image

The original art:
Posted Image

And the article in the magazine:
Posted Image

The Cover of issue 14 of GamePro:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The Cover of issue 46 of GamePro:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The box art for the 1988 computer game Ocean Ranger:
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

The box art for the 1990 Sega Genesis game G-LOC: Air :
Posted Image

And the original art:
Posted Image

I would like to thank Marc for contacting me and telling me about some of the work he's done, as well as for sharing some of his game-related art with me and this site. If you want to see more, head over to http://www.marcericksen.com/. There is a lot of game related box art that he has done, as well as other stuff some of you may recognize.

#2 BarbieOnWeed

BarbieOnWeed

Expert Member

• Team Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:53 AM

How cool is this! :)

#3 Mister Zero

Mister Zero

Ain't Afraid of No Post!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

AWESOME!

How nice of him to share all of this with you. I like his artwork, it really brings back memories from those days to see them here in their entirety.

#4 Schloss Ritter

Schloss Ritter

Schattenjäger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

This is great. Reminds me of how a few of the original composers eventually got involved with OCRemix, helping to "legitimize" the site.
Nothing to see here. Move along.

#5 E-Day

E-Day

Jimminy Momma Jammas

• Retromags Curator
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:52 PM

Marc has asked me to find the items that he has illustrated for that he doesn't remember. He sent me about 10, and I was able to find nine of them. There is one I cannot find anything about. So I leave up to you guys to see if you can identify the image

Posted Image

What is that from?

#6 Areala

Areala

Warrior Nun / Archivist

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

Marc has asked me to find the items that he has illustrated for that he doesn't remember. He sent me about 10, and I was able to find nine of them. There is one I cannot find anything about. So I leave up to you guys to see if you can identify the image

Posted Image

What is that from?

Based on the artwork, I'd guess it was some sort of ad illustration or mag illustration for a game in the R-Type series. Maybe that can help narrow down the search? :)

Also: MEGA AWESOME!! :)

*huggles*
Areala

All formal dogmatic religions are fallacious and must never be accepted by self-respecting persons as final.

-- Hypatia

#7 E-Day

E-Day

Jimminy Momma Jammas

• Retromags Curator
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

Marc has told me that it is for game packaging, so it's not from a magazine (though it could have been used in an ad). It could also be a video game or a board game; he's done it all :)

#8 E-Day

E-Day

Jimminy Momma Jammas

• Retromags Curator
  • 2,573 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:34 PM

Marc has been kind enough to provide me with some rough sketches and the final product, for anyone interested in seeing how artwork goes from the rough stage to the final stage. Quite nifty!

Rough work is on the left, final image is on the right:

Hydra for the Atari Lynx
Posted Image

Stalingrad for DOS
Posted Image

Steel Talon for Atari Lynx
Posted Image

Star Trek Screensaver for Mac
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users