Phantasy Star

Areala

I keep hearing about this series, but I've been a long-time Nintendo and Sony console and PC game player. Is it worth adding this series to my ever expanding list of games to get around to, including trying to find a good emulator to play on?

Then again, I've kept the Ultima, Wizardry, and other series off my list due to lack of time...

• Retromags Curator

Let's put it this way... Every "Dragon Warrior" fanboy worth his or her salt absolutely drooled over "Phantasy Star" II, III and IV on the Genesis. Alone, they weren't enough to merit a console purchase, but they are very, very well-done old-school RPGs. Phantasy Star on the Master System is a mite bit different in that it includes "3D" dungeons which is a neat little trick, and you'll go through a ream of graph paper trying to map them all out. :)

If you enjoy the old-school RPG goodness of Dragon Warrior on any system or any Final Fantasy prior to 7, you owe it to yourself to at least give Phantasy Star a fair shake. If you have a PS3 or a 360, you can get them all dirt-cheap by buying the "Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection" game which is an amazing deal no matter how you slice it, and you'll get Shining Force and Shining Force II as well to sweeten the deal. :)

*huggles*

Areala

How could you have left out drooling over the first game. Phantasy Star was way ahead of the game when it came to RPG games. It was and still is my favorite RPG next to Final Fantasy 6. It's simple compared to FF6 but it's on it's own level of awesomeness. I've bought this game I don't know how many times on different consoles. It's worth it just for those games. Though PS3 was a horrid game in my opinion they did not do a good job on that one at all. PS2 was okay and PS4 was another great game... not to mention when it was originally released it was $120 so yeah... it was a coveted game back in the day just because of that.